Stockholms Katthem - Stockholm Cat Shelter
Stockholms Katthem, or Katthemmet, is a nonprofit organization providing temporary care and placement in new homes for homeless, abandoned and needy cats in the greater Stockholm area. We are completely dependent on support from kindhearted donors and volunteers.
Our mission and values
Our mission is the following:
1) To work to improve cats’ rights and social status in Stockholm and Sweden.
2) To help abandoned and needy cats by taking them in at Katthemmet or through other appropriate and possible means.
3) To, when a cat is brought in to Katthemmet, ensure that it receives the care that can reasonably be given.
4) To, when the cat’s health allows it, place the cat in a new home, where its new owner has signed a contract committing him/herself to take good care of the cat. A fee, as a contribution to the costs involved with caring for the cat, is taken from the cat’s new owner at the time of delivery.
5) To give advice about the care and keeping of cats and inform the public and specifically cat owners about the necessity of the id-marking and neutering/spaying of cats in order to decrease the cat population in Stockholm.
6) To work together with the police and the public regarding lost and found cats, in order to, if possible, reunite them with their owners.
7) To only after consultation with a veterinarian allow cats who are incurably sick or injured to be euthanized.
We are open for visitors Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 6-8 p.m.
126 37 Hägersten
Telephone: +46 8 74437 61
Fax: +46 8 549 017 89
Plusgiro: 90 01 79-3
General emails to Katthemmet and the current director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries about cats in akuthem (temporary homes outside the shelter): email@example.com
Enquiries about membership and payments: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsoring and donations: email@example.com
Notices about cats needing a new home or lost/found cats: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send updates on adopted cats: email@example.com
Press/media contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
When you send an email to email@example.com, please include a phone number where we can reach you during daytime hours. Often we need time to find the answer to a question, so the time taken to send an answer can be drawn out. We cannot guarantee an immediate response to emails; we do all that we can to answer as quickly as possible, but our resources are very limited. All other email addresses are answered by volunteers.
For all other enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we are a completely not-for-profit organization, we are completely dependent on support from generous individuals and companies. Financial support is used mainly for food, litter, veterinary care and medicine for the cats. If you would like to support us you can do so by working as a volunteer, donating supplies, sponsoring a cage, and more.
Sponsor the cats at Katthemmet
As a sponsor for the cats at Stockholms Katthem you donate an amount of your choice every month, from 50 SEK and upward. It is also possible to make a payment every three or six months.
Sponsors are the financial foundation of Stockholms Katthem. Without our generous sponsors it would not be possible to operate to our current extent, despite all of our wonderful volunteers – the important contribution made by our sponsors cannot be stressed enough. It is in large part thanks to their donations that we can pay for food, litter, veterinary care, toys, our facilities, and everything else that ensures the cats’ wellbeing.
Katthemmet’s finances are routinely reviewed by a certified accountant and our 90-konto, only available to approved charitable organizations, is further assurance that your financial donations will be handled correctly.
To become a sponsor, contact us!
To make a one-time financial gift, you can easily deposit a monetary donation to Plusgiro account 90 01 79-3. Please mark your donation with "gåva” ("gift” in Swedish). As we have a "90 account,” it is free to transfer in money at all Nordea, Handelsbanken, SEB and Swedbank branches in Sweden.
For international transfers:
IBAN SE40 9500 0099 6026 0900 1793
Send an SMS with the text Katthem 25, Katthem 50 or Katthem 100 to 72970 to donate the corresponding amount (amounts in SEK; from Swedish mobile phones only).
Donate cat items (carriers, furniture, toys, etc.)
We are very happy to receive scratching posts, litter boxes, cat carriers, toys, etc. If your items are used then they must be in good condition and clean.
We are very grateful for gifts of canned cat food as we always have many mouths to feed. In terms of dry food, we have chosen to only serve our guests high-quality food purchased directly from Royal Canin. We prefer to only serve one brand of food as cats’ digestion can be upset if their food is switched too often. Cats who require veterinary food are of course provided with it. If you would like to donate this type of food we prefer the package to be unopened.
Cat litter is also in high demand, so we are very grateful for all donations of clumping cat litter.
Old sheets and towels
At Katthemmet we use cloth rags in daily cleaning and are therefore very pleased to receive old sheets, towels and similar absorbent fabrics that we can cut up and reuse.
Become a member
As a member of Stockholms Katthem you have the ability to contribute to the future of Katthemmet by participating in our yearly meetings and board elections. You can also submit motions for how our operations can be developed or changed. Membership costs 300 SEK per calendar year (200 SEK for students and pensioners).
As a member you also receive a 10% discount on food and litter at Bromma Zoomarknad. The first time you shop there with your membership card you’ll also receive a gift voucher for 100 SEK.
You also receive a 10% discount on regular prices on cat accessories at Djurmagazinet Farsta.
Contact us to sign up!
Adopt a cat from Katthemmet
To adopt a cat from Katthemmet, your first step is a visit during our regular visiting hours (see "Contact” for hours). During your visit you’ll have the chance to see all the cats currently residing at Katthemmet and ask any questions you may have about adopting a cat. When you have found a cat who captures your heart, you can inform the volunteers on shift, who will discuss our adoption policy with you and help you to fill out a reservation form.
If you are interested in a cat in a temporary home (akuthem) listed on the webpage, send an email to email@example.com to arrange a first meeting. Tell a bit about yourself in your email, including where you live and if you have any previous experience with cats, and make sure to include your daytime phone number.
You will then need to make two repeat visits within the next seven days in order to continue with the adoption. If your cat is extra-shy (skygg) or has other special needs, you will need to make four repeat visits in the span of fourteen days.
IMPORTANT: If you do not make your repeat visits or contact us during the time indicated, your cat will be made available for adoption by others. As such, it is important that you immediately contact us if you become sick or cannot make your visits for another reason.
General rules for adoption
- All of our cats are sold as indoor cats. Exceptions may be made for owners living in the countryside.
- Without exception, kittens up to seven months are NEVER sold as "single cats.” The adopter must either already have a cat at home or adopt a second cat along with the kitten. Some of our adult cats are also sold with the condition that they have a cat companion.
- One must be a legal adult (myndig) in order to reserve or adopt a cat, as well as have his/her own home. As cats can live to be 15-20 years old, those who are 65 or older must choose a cat who is at least six years old. If a friend or relative agrees to sign an agreement to care for the cat in case the older person can no longer care for it, adoption of a younger cat can be discussed. When a person aged 70 or older adopts a cat, such an agreement is always a requirement.
- If there is already a cat in the home, it must be fully vaccinated.
- Regardless of the new owner’s age, he/she or another member of the household must be able to carry out all of the practical tasks associated with owning a cat: cleaning the litter box, transporting the cat to the veterinarian when necessary, clipping the cat’s claws, etc.
When the cat is ready for delivery (all of the required visits have been made, it is fully vaccinated, it is neutered/spayed and id-marked if an adult, any stitches have been removed and no further medical care is required) you will be contacted to agree on a day and time for the delivery. You must be prepared to receive your new cat within seven or fourteen days; if you are not available during this time then you will not be allowed to reserve the cat.
We deliver each cat personally to its new home, within 100 km of Stockholm.
Payment can be made by credit/debit card at Katthemmet before the delivery or by cash at the time of the delivery. It is also possible to transfer the payments to our Plusgiro account, 900179-3.
Each cat costs 1300 SEK, regardless of age and appearance. This fee covers vaccinations, id-marking, deworming, neutering/spaying of physically mature cats, any medical attention the cat has required, and contributes to the cat’s day-to-day costs from its time at Katthemmet (food, litter, etc.)
At the time of delivery, a contract between the adopter and Katthemmet is signed where the adopter formally commits to making sure that the cat is well-cared for and taking responsibility for its needs.
From Katthemmet’s side, the contract guarantees to the furthest possible extent that the cat is healthy. You can always contact us if a problem should arise or if you have any questions. You can also always return the cat if, for instance, someone in the family should become allergic, you must move abroad and cannot take the cat with you, or the cat absolutely cannot get along with a cat you already have.
How to find us
Katthemmet is located in Hägersten, a five-minute walk from the Telefonplan subway (tunnelbana) station, on the red line. See map below for details.
With a car from central Stockholm, take the E4/E20 toward Göteborg and take the exit toward Västberga. Continue via Mikrofonvägen and Svarvstolsvägen, as Tvingvägen is closed off at hotel Formule 1. Parking is available outside Katthemmet.
We are open for visitors Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 6-8 p.m. Additionally, we host Café Katt ("Café Cat”) the first Sunday of every month except July from 2-5 p.m. At Café Katt visitors can visit and reserve cats as well as buy coffee, baked goods and Katthem merchandise to support Katthemmet. Special events are also organized on a regular basis and advertised on the webpage. Recent events have included a Christmas market, an Open House and Yard Sale and participation in the yearly Husdjursmässa in Kista.